upper memory limit

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Sun Aug 8 01:16:32 EDT 2004

Leandro <leandro_ricardo at yahoo.com> wrote:

>There is an upper memory limit in Python?
>I have 2GB RAM and 2 processors Xeon 2.4 - (Windows XP), but I just can use
>1.2G of memory, after this python crashes.
>Does someone know if python has some memory limit?

You might be surprised to learn that the amount of memory available to a
single process is (almost) completely unrelated to the amount of physical
memory in the machine.  Windows is a virtual memory system.

A single process in Windows is limited to 2GB of address space.  Part of
that is occupied by the Python executable, your DLLs, and the system DLLs.

1.2GB seems a litle low, but it is not entirely unreasonable.
- Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.