Acquiring Prothon libraries [Was: Prothon is switching to the .NET platform]

Mark Hahn mark at prothon.org
Sun Aug 8 18:11:59 EDT 2004

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 22:35:43 +0200, Miklós wrote:

> Isn't it possible to automate or semi-automate the conversion of the Python
> libraries somehow?
> There must be a sensible mapping of class-based code to prototype-based
> code..

It's not classes versus prototypes.

When I looked at running CPython's libraries with Prothon earlier this year
it didn't look good.  The Python libraries were too tightly wrapped around
the Python language.  The CPython VM was not written to support multiple
languages as the CLR is.  Python extensions expect to be able to have any
and all of Python available at all times.

The best I could do would be to have the CPython interpreter running
embedded inside my Prothon interpreter and bridging calls from Prothon over
to Python.  This would not be efficient as it would require both VMs to run
side by side.  There would also be the overhead of translating between the
two.  Native threads would not be supported.  I pretty much gave up on the
idea.