Call for signatories for J2

Fernando Perez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 25 13:05:22 EDT 2004

Robert Brewer wrote:

> The J2 proposal is as complete as it will ever be.
>
> http://www.aminus.org/rbre/python/pydec.html
>
> The patch is nearly complete; only the __future__ declaration and some
> document tweaks remain. It should be updated on SourceForge today or
> tomorrow.
>
> This is a call for all who wish to sign the proposal, either for,
> against, or abstaining. Please sign by either posting on
> comp.lang.python (replying to this is fine)

My signature : FOR

My Name: Fernando Perez.  Regular email: fperez AT colorado DOT edu

I am the author of IPython, one of the affected tools by the @proposal; IPython
was referenced in the J2 paper.  So I guess this is my 'official' stance on
the matter.  I like it for 2 reasons:

a) It will save me a bunch of silly work changing ipython (especially the
docs), and it will save my ipython users having to change their work habits.

b) I just like it; I think the paper authors did a fantastic job justifying the
idea with a set of very coherent reasons.  By now it's clear no syntax will be
deemed 'perfect' by everyone, but I found the arguments in the proposal clear,
intelligent and convincing enough to be happy going along.

Thanks to those who were willing to put enough effort to turn a potential
disaster for the language into a rational and productive discussion.

Best,