Kuhlman's tutorials pretty good

Fred Ma fma at doe.carleton.ca
Thu Apr 15 03:59:14 EDT 2004

My browser crashed, so I'm typing this again.  That Deja Vu feeling.

"urnerk at qwest.net" wrote:

> I like Dave Kuhlman's tutorials as well.  They seem to be in the right place
> at the website now:
>
> http://www.python.org/topics/learn/prog.html

Yes, but how do you get to it?  I went to www.python.org, clicked on
Documentation at the top.  Nada.  I went back to www.python.org,
clicked on Introductions to Python, then looked at the links for
programmers.  Nada.  I'm not even sure that I found my way to his
tutorials via the python site yesterday..  Today, I ended up finding
them with Google.

> However, in looking over 201, I see some scrambling of source code examples,
> vs. surrounding text, e.g. when he's getting into regular expressions, some
> of the examples have nothing to do with the explanations that follow.
> Notably sections 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5.  2.6 is mostly OK except:
>
> """
> Put together a new string with string concatenation from pieces of the
> original string and replacement values. You can use string slices to get
> the sub-strings of the original string. In our case, the following gets the
> start of the string, adds the first replacement, adds the middle of the
> original string, adds the second replacement, and finally, adds the last
> part of the original string:
>
> lineDef = delimitedList(fieldDef)
> """

Yes, they seem rearranged.  I'm not sure what Dr. Kuhlman's time is
like, but his tutorials are very good, and thus of great value to
Python newbies everywhere.  ;)

Fred

P.S.  Posted and mailed to the same recipients.
Bcc is the only way I can hide the email of Dr. Kuhlman.
His email is on his tutorial, but perhaps its absence here will
save him from a tiny bit of spam.
--
Fred Ma
Dept. of Electronics, Carleton University