Best IDE?

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Sun Apr 11 13:56:41 EDT 2004

> This has prolly been asked 100 times - so please refrain from flaming if you can...
>
> What's the best MSwindows editor for python?  I'm currently using PythonWin (ActiveState) at the moment, its a bit
> buggy - but not too bad. I mean, its got autocomplete & tips & help & autoindentaion (not always good tho).
>
> Thing is, I'm sure there is something better. Is there?

Many people stick with the standard Python-included Idle.

Others use their favored *nix editor on Windows (usually Emacs or VI(M))

Some have found they love SciTE.

If you could get Eric3 running on Windows, it'd probably be /very/ nice.

The editor component of Boa Constructor is pretty good (haven't used it
in a while), but is a bit sluggish.

SPE (Stani's Python Editor) is also pretty good, though can be slow at
times, and uses MDI, which people usually love or hate.

I use PyPE, find it to be a satisfactory replacement for Idle, and is
quite fast.  I wrote it, which is why I place it at the bottom.

There are many other general text editors with some sort of Python
support, but I don't use any of them, so I'll not talk about them.

  - Josiah