why is python better than eg. smalltalk?? no one has any solid arguments! you should all go to church with all that religious talk!

Jon Perez jbperez808 at wahoo.com
Sat Apr 10 16:24:29 EDT 2004

eltronic at juno.com wrote:

> > Also, I see all this advocacy of python which to me seems more like
> > religion.. there is no concretenes in it, and I completely fail to see how
> > python beats any of the other dynamically typed languages such as
> > smalltalk or self... what is it with you guys? :)

Python is not a religion, but could be considered a very nice work
of art.  Esthetics are difficult, sometimes impossible, to argue
for using 'solid arguments'.

You can have a very nice, comprehensive set of features (i.e. buzzword
compliant) - which Python does - but they be implemented so awkwardly that
the language ends up sucky (like C++).

For the past 10 years, I have been in search for a 'holy grail' of a text
editor and a language.  Something I could absolutely devote myself to using.
After the dozens and dozens I've tried and looked at, I can now say to
myself that I have found what I've been looking for with SciTE and Python.

Wrt OSes, Windows XP is more or less that holy grail too (I'm proficient
in and love Slackware Linux, but Win XP is still what makes my day).