why is python better than eg. smalltalk?? no one has any solid arguments! you should all go to church with all that religious talk!

Carlo v. Dango oest at soetu.eu
Wed Apr 7 22:08:53 EDT 2004

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 13:08:02 +0100, Andy Jewell <andy at wild-flower.co.uk>
wrote:

OK, I'm on the python wagon as well, but I do not really se much
improvement over JAVA... especially when it comes to maintaining and
reusing code (e.g. API's)... here the types are really helpful. So just
saying typing is bad, is to me, plain wrong. I guess its like choosing a
language for the problem... if your code is simple and script-like, you
probably do not get nothing but trouble from the types, but maintaining a
1 billion line of code program, you probably feel less agony by the
restrictions (and promises!) set up by the types. In a sense types are
like contracts (DBC) and we do agree on those as being a good thing,
right??!

Also, I see all this advocacy of python which to me seems more like
religion.. there is no concretenes in it, and I completely fail to see how
python beats any of the other dynamically typed languages such as
smalltalk or self... what is it with you guys? :)

however, when playing and trying to bend a language a dynamically typed
language is way more fun to play with than a typed one! But the integrated
lexer and parser in smalltalk, makes one wonder why python should be a
choice here? Maybe what people like is all the extra software which has
been and is being written for python, which you do not have in smalltalk?
or what is it?

-carlo