python under subversion (svn)

Harry George harry.g.george at boeing.com
Wed Apr 28 09:27:35 EDT 2004

grahamd at dscpl.com.au (Graham Dumpleton) writes:

> Richie Hindle <richie at entrian.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.43.1083077828.25742.python-list at python.org>...
>
> > You also need to decide whether your trunk and branches will live at the top
> > level with the projects underneath them, or whether the projects will live
> > at the top level with the trunks and branches underneath them.  Because of
> > the way I'm traditionally accustomed to using CVS, I prefer to think of the
> > trunk and branches as top-level concepts with the projects living within
> > them.  Hence I'd do something like this:
> >
> > After import:
> >
> > trunk/
> >   myproject/
> >     doc/
> >     mypackage/
> >       stable.py
> >       changing.py
> >     test/
> >       go_test
>
> Having "trunk" at the top level and projects under it is also better when you
> have multiple projects. This is because you can do one checkout of the
> "trunk" root directory and get the main version of all projects in one go.
> If you have the "trunk" under the project name, you have to do a checkout
> on each projects trunk to get the latest of everything, which is more work.

I know the svn recommendation is trunk at the top.  But we have
several substantially separate development efforts in the same
repository, so we don't wnat to check out everything.  The development
groups don't even know each other.  I'm thinking I need a separate
repository (with trunk at the top) for each community.

harry.g.george at boeing.com
6-6M21 BCA CompArch Design Engineering
Phone: (425) 342-0007