Difficulty Finding Python Developers

David LeBlanc whisper at oz.net
Thu Apr 15 02:58:19 EDT 2004

> "Paul Morrow" <pm_mon at yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:65cbc3dd.0404140641.3501fde8 at posting.google.com...
> > We've worked hard to convince our company to migrate our core
> > applications to Python, and now we're looking for a Python developer
> > in Atlanta to handle a short-term (approx. 3 month) project.  But our
> > initial searches have been fairly unsuccessful.  We haven't actually
> > posted a job on Monster, but we have been talking with various
> > headhunters in our area and they don't have many resumes that show
> > Python experience.  An so now, of course, mgt is wondering whether
> > selecting Python was a mistake.
> >
> > As anyone had a similar experience?  Suggestions?
>
> Besides Monster, different areas have other job boards
> that are pretty good. This one seems to be better in
> this area: at least it has the number of jobs I'd expect,
> and more than in some other areas:
>
> http://www.atlanta.computerjobs.com/
>
> John Roth

I think I'd look for experienced programmers that know Python more than I'd
worry about length of time knowing Python - for an experienced programmer, a
few months of Python exposure would go a lot further than for someone who
did not have prior programming experience. I've been programming for 30+
years and playing with Python for at least 3 years and I have no doubt that
I can develop good Python applications. Too bad I'm so far away from
Atlanta... ;)

I also think a good C or C++ programmer could come up to speed in Python
awefully fast. Even a Pearl programmer could retrain almost as fast... ;)

Dave LeBlanc
Seattle, WA USA