Difficulty Finding Python Developers

Robin Becker robin at SPAMREMOVEjessikat.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Apr 15 04:06:48 EDT 2004

Carl Banks wrote:

> Seriously, it seems to me that headhunters are machines designed to
> funnel in the drones colleges spit out.  I don't think they're all
> that interested, or knowledgable, of less common skills.  I think
> you'll have luck posting the job on Monster.
>
> Also, I agree with Peter Hanson here.  I am very amazed (although not
> surprised at all) that firms are often reluctant to switch to a
> language like Python because there are relatively few people with
> experience in it.  C and C++ are so bug-prone (buffer overruns,
> anyone? segfaults?) I think it would be in a firm's best interests to
> hire those C and C++ drones and train them for Python; the cost of
> training someone in Python probably would more than offset the cost of
> fixing all those bugs.

There was an advert recently here in the UK for a Python developer
(around £25-35k). In the advert it stated explicitly that Python
experience was not required. I followed the link and it led to the
headhunter who got us our latest recruit. So perhaps even he has begun
to understand the assimilability of Python.
--
Robin Becker