Difficulty Finding Python Developers

Carl Banks imbosol at aerojockey.com
Wed Apr 14 19:41:31 EDT 2004

pm_mon at yahoo.com (Paul Morrow) wrote in message news:<65cbc3dd.0404140641.3501fde8 at posting.google.com>...
> We've worked hard to convince our company to migrate our core
> applications to Python, and now we're looking for a Python developer
> in Atlanta to handle a short-term (approx. 3 month) project.  But our
> initial searches have been fairly unsuccessful.  We haven't actually
> posted a job on Monster, but we have been talking with various
> headhunters in our area and they don't have many resumes that show
> Python experience.  An so now, of course, mgt is wondering whether
> selecting Python was a mistake.
>
> As anyone had a similar experience?  Suggestions?

Yeah, relocate.  :)

Seriously, it seems to me that headhunters are machines designed to
funnel in the drones colleges spit out.  I don't think they're all
that interested, or knowledgable, of less common skills.  I think
you'll have luck posting the job on Monster.

Also, I agree with Peter Hanson here.  I am very amazed (although not
surprised at all) that firms are often reluctant to switch to a
language like Python because there are relatively few people with
experience in it.  C and C++ are so bug-prone (buffer overruns,
anyone? segfaults?) I think it would be in a firm's best interests to
hire those C and C++ drones and train them for Python; the cost of
training someone in Python probably would more than offset the cost of
fixing all those bugs.

--
CARL BANKS