ready to use python, need help with GUI decision

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Apr 22 22:13:34 EDT 2004

Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 08:59:48AM +0200, Miki Tebeka wrote:
> : Hello Jonathon,
> :
> : >Can anyone offer any advice?
> : I use wxPython here at work and I'm very pleased with it. Native look
> : and feel, a lot of widgets ...
> : There are some nice UI designers as well (Boa, wxGlade ...). The UI in
> : my projects is not that complicated to I write all the GUI in VIm, the
> : *Sizer are wonderful.
>
> I started out with tk/Pwm for my first decent sized project, and I really
> like it.  I also decided to take a look at wxPython, just for comparison.  I
> like the richness, but on an older laptop, it seems to take much more CPU,
> like Java.  Does anyone else find that to be the case?

I *think*, given that wxPython is a thin (?) Python wrapper around
a C++ DLL that makes native calls to the OS, while Tkinter is a
Python wrapper around a TCL wrapper (complete with TCL interpreter)
around something that makes native OS calls to the OS, that wxPython
has an inherent and relatively significant advantage, performance-
wise.  At least, that's my theory.  I don't recall having tried
to compare them in this respect, nor do I recall past discussions
about it (though I bet Google groups does <wink>).

-Peter