Python OS

Harald Massa cpl.19.ghum at spamgourmet.com
Sat Apr 17 04:05:01 EDT 2004

Michael Chermside

> Then you have much to learn. Different languages have different
> strengths, and a skilled programmer will realize that.
That is really true.

> In the world of OSes, I think a core done in something like C
> with the higher level kernel functionality in Python would make
> an interesting system for experimenting with OS design. But
> performance is likely to be unreasonable for a "production" OS.

I am sure Dr. Armin Rigo would tend to disagree if he would read up to
this sentence :))) You should GMANE the PyPy Mailing list, Edward of LEO
posted this research of HP

http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/1999/HPL-1999-77.pdf
http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/1999/HPL-1999-78.pdf

"Contrary to intuition, we demonstrate that it is possible to use a piece
of
software to improve the performance of a native, statically optimized
program binary, _while it is executing_." (emphasis in original).

also GNANE python-dev with Armins rant about "going to C to fast" and
"python is faster than C" - nearly flamebaiting he proofed that he was
able to outperform Timsort because he knew more about the data to sort.

Your way of formulating gives me the impression that you are a really
experienced and knowledgable programmer; and "basic instincts" of
experienced programmers is often that "assembler faster C faster C++
faster HighLevel" ... but as often, human mind seems to fail in complex
optimization situations.

So I hope you allow me to direct your mind also in the area of dynamic
optimization...

thanks

Harald