Python OS

John Roth newsgroups at jhrothjr.com
Sun Apr 11 15:51:03 EDT 2004

"A Evans" <ae> wrote in message news:107j4eu6ffn2c68 at corp.supernews.com...
> I have a question concerning the development of Python Based Operating
> System. You see I have had sort of a dream to develop an Open Source
> Operating System that would revolutionize the OS market and Since I
started
> using Python I have fallen in love with the language. Reading articles
here
> and there I have read that Python is a more secure language than C. I also
> read another article (I can't remember which) saying Python would not be
> able to develop an OS. I don't believe its true however. I am by no means
> programmer at this stage. But as I learn more and more I see Python as the
> Holy Grail of programming languages
>
> My questions would then be, is Python capable of creating an OS from
scratch
> and if so would it be plausible if possible

It depends on what you call "Python." The current Python
implementations (CPython, Jython and the so far incomplete
IronPython, PyPy and the unnamed version on Parrot)
all depend on an operating system and interpreter that provides
lots of services. (That's not quite true of PyPy, which is
well worth looking at.)

The central core of an operating system has to get down
and dirty with the hardware. Modern operating systems
are written in a very feature impoverished version of C
with occasional excursions into Assembler either for performance
or to get access to hardware that applications are prevented
from accessing.

You could undoubtedly create a language that would
compile efficiently and would still have many (if not all)
of the conveniences that Python provides, but it would
be a different language.

John Roth

> Cheers
>
> A python NewBie - Man I hate that term does anyone else

Likewise. I prefer novice. I consider Newbie to be patronizing.

JR.