CamelCase versus wide_names (Prothon)

Dan Bishop danb_83 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 17 23:27:19 EDT 2004

Dave Benjamin <ramen at lackingtalent.com> wrote in message news:<slrnc83ddn.ijn.ramen at lackingtalent.com>...
> In article <pan.2004.04.16.01.04.02.124611 at hotmail.com>, Paramjit Oberoi wrote:
> > * the real problem is the absence of a character for
> >   indicating non-breaking spaces---that's why we have
> >   to use all these damn_WorkArounds.
>
> That's so funny; I was just thinking the same thing myself. After all these
> years, they couldn't just make it easier to press? That's the only problem
> here, IMHO; I *much* prefer reading lowercase_with_underscores. I never
> noticed how much until I read this thread, because I have a slight hangover
> and all these capWordsAreLiterallyGivingMeAHeadache. ;)

ButKeepInMindThatManyIdentifierNamesHaveOnlyOneWord
(InWhichCaseTheWordSeparationStyleDoesntMatter),
AndMostOrOnlyTwoOrThreeWords, SoCodeWontBeAsHardToReadAsThis.

> Out of curiosity, do most of us prefer CamelCaps for class names, regardless
> of our opinions on variables, functions, methods, etc.?

I do.

> I almost never see
> class names defined in lowercase unless they're built-in or user-defined
> types meant to look like they're built-in.

I'd prefer it if built-in types were uppercase too, so I wouldn't have
to remember not to use "list" and "file" as variable names.
Unforunately, that would break a lot of code.