Tkinter vs. wxPython?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 27 16:24:28 EDT 2004

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 15:03:19 -0300, "Batista, Facundo"
<FBatista at uniFON.com.ar> wrote:
> But, I read somewhere that Tkinter is simpler, but difficult so make big
> complicated stuff. wxPython is more difficult at start, but more scalable.

I've played with both but my GUI needs are simple - usually
putting a nice front end on a CLI script. (Fancy GUI stuff I tend
to do in Delphi - oh the shame of it...)

But my experience suggests similar findings, Tkinter is dead easy
to build small GUIs but it has a limited widget set (even
including PMW) and has no currently maintained graphical GUI
builder so far as I know (SpecPython is long discontnued!)

And there is no doubt that wxPython looks more natural, on
windows at least, although the differences aren't enough to make
me switch. BUt my needs are, as I said, very simple.

Alan G.

Author of the Learn to Program website