[OT] The Cracker's Guide To Python

Rocco Moretti roccomoretti at hotpop.com
Wed Apr 7 09:53:50 EDT 2004

Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou wrote:

> So jokingly, how do we advertise python in that "underground" world?
> Easy: let's provide a crack for every version of python for windows! :)
> It doesn't matter what it does, perhaps only change the copyright
> message into "H4x0r3d by Guid0 T34m" by changing directly the
> pythonxx.dll.  The only problem would be that if the crack is written in
> Python, it won't be able to open the dll as read-write...

Like most things in Python, the solution is simple.

Add the following to "site.py" in the standard library directly after
the import:

===
sys.copyright = "H4x0r3d by Guid0 T34m"
===

Viola!
====
Python 2.3 (#46, Jul 29 2003, 18:54:32) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
 >>> copyright
H4x0r3d by Guid0 T34m

====