if (__name__ == '__main__'): main(sys.argv[1:])

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Fri Apr 23 12:02:54 EDT 2004

François Pinard <pinard at iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

> [Michael Hudson]
> > François Pinard <pinard at iro.umontreal.ca> writes:
>
> > > A word about the `__metaclass__' line.  My intent is to forget all about
> > > classic classes and go with the new type system as quickly as possible.
> > > I do not want to derive each and every of my classes from `object',
> > > and later edit all those `(object)' out when the classic classes will
> > > effectively get deprecated.
>
> > Why would you do that?
>
> Your question is surprising, after you just quoted the answer.  I guess
> I miss the real meaning of your question.

In case I confused you, I meant the "edit the '(object)' out" bit.

> > I don't like using a __metaclass__ global because it's a non-local
> > effect.
>
> That's exactly why it is useful.  You don't like it to be useful? :-)

I like my code to do things similar to what it looks like it's doing.

To me,

    class MyClass:

says "classic class".

Cheers,
mwh

--
 Two decades later, well-known hacker Henry Spencer described the
 Perl scripting language as a "Swiss-Army chainsaw", intending to