GUI Frameworks in Python?

simo simoninusa2001 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 6 16:31:52 EDT 2004

I've found that on 3 PC's (1.6GHz/7200rpm/XP Pro, 500MHz/4200rpm/2K
Pro, dual 400MHz/5400rpm/2K Pro) it always takes 3 seconds to get to
the demo splash screen, on Python 2.3.3 and wxPython 2.4.2.4/2.5.1.5

On the dual PII/400, Hugh's script takes repeatedly about 1.125s,
unless you run it from within IDLE, whereby the first run takes about
1.7s and then it takes 0.03s, so I guess IDLE caches the compiled
version (I've see this before).

It doesn't seem to be wxPython specific either, I've got similar
wx/Qt/Tk apps that seem to take the same time to start.

This leads me to believe it's the Python interpreter starting up that
takes a specific amount of time (does it wait or something odd?).
Unless it's so heavily optimised that a processor 3x as fast makes no
speed difference! ;o)