GUI Frameworks in Python?

greg greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Apr 7 05:06:29 EDT 2004

Josiah Carlson wrote:
> Simpler?  According to Greg, passing ids of the widget was a
> pain...well, in 2.5 you can pass the widget.  Apparently that is
> significant enough to warrant Greg complaining about it, and Robin Dunn
> to fix it.

Like I said, it's not a big deal on its own, just something
that seemed needlessly awkward, among many others. Some
other examples: You can't create a widget until there's a
parent for it, forcing you to create widgets in a certain
order. When you create a widget, you have to either specify
an ID number, or -1 to say you don't care what its ID number
is (I didn't, mostly), instead of just letting it default.
Most widget constructors seem to take about half a dozen
parameters that you have to get in the right order because
you can't specify them using keywords. And so on.

All these small things added up to an experience that I
didn't enjoy much overall.

--
Greg