Tkinter and XML-RPC

Roger Binns rogerb at rogerbinns.com
Thu Apr 29 01:30:21 EDT 2004

Mark Bauman wrote:
> I'm new to Python (C/C++/Delphi background), and so far I'm impressed with
> the language, libraries and community. Anyway, I've just started poking
> around with Tkinter and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or caveats on
> incorporating an XML-RPC client and server inside a Tkinter app. I have an
> application in mind that would primarily be dealing with short string
> messages and the occasional jpeg, so I'm wondering about blocking and
> threading issues within the confines of the GUI. I'm just starting to dig
> into the detailed docs on Tkinter and the XLM-RPC library, but I thought I
> would ask since I'm sure that some folks have been there, done that.

The main gotcha to worry about is if you will ever need security
for the XML-RPC.  It is fairly easy to add password authentication.
It is however very difficult to tunnel it inside SSL unless you
don't care about there being one connection per request (and a
TCP establishment overhead with a SSL establishment as well).

I actually ended up using Paramiko, a Python implementation of
SSH.

Roger