Is Perl *that* good?

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Wed Apr 28 09:58:10 EDT 2004

In article <du7k700w7k5.fsf at mozart.cc.tut.fi>,
Ville Vainio  <ville at spammers.com> wrote:
			.
>not knowing Python. Somehow people acquire weird proconceptions (tcl
>is best for quick uis, perl for string handling, ...) and refuse to
>reconsider them even if the realities that originally created the
>preconceptions have changed, rendering the original claim
>categorically false.
			.
			.
			.
Oh, yes.  A particular concentration of this I know is in Unix
system administration.  People will sometimes stand on their
heads to do things in ways that made a lot of sense in 1994,
say, but are multiply suboptimal in 2004 (construction of fragile
shell-coded if-file-appears-in-FTP-listing algorithms when any
sane sysad supports ssh and friends, and so on).  Some of the
best books are from the early '90s, and ... well, we get ourselves
into funny states.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at phaseit.net>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net