Is Perl *that* good?

Ville Vainio ville at spammers.com
Wed Apr 28 09:33:46 EDT 2004

    Cameron> my provisional conclusion:  my past attempts to track
    Cameron> down claims of the "Perl is tops for string-handling"
    Cameron> sort generally reinforced the proposition that the
    Cameron> speaker simply meant, "Perl privileges REs" (and that
    Cameron> the speaker had no familiarity with Python, let alone
    Cameron> Icon or Prolog).  Now I see there's a likelihood of

I tend to see praises of perl string handling as an indication of just
not knowing Python. Somehow people acquire weird proconceptions (tcl
is best for quick uis, perl for string handling, ...) and refuse to
reconsider them even if the realities that originally created the
preconceptions have changed, rendering the original claim
categorically false.

BTW, nobody seems to miss Perl libs and CPAN anymore. A few years ago
most of the complaints regarding python were that perl has more
libraries. This is a good sign :-).

--
Ville Vainio   http://tinyurl.com/2prnb