Python from the command line (was: Choosing Perl/Python for my particular niche)

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Thu Apr 1 07:50:08 EST 2004

In article <406BB6C4.7F3ADD4 at doe.carleton.ca>,
Fred Ma  <fma at doe.carleton.ca> wrote:
			.
>I've put in a request to my sysadmin to install python.  The
>way to get hooked on it is to start small, with mundane tasks
>(same as with any new shell, I suppose).  If it doesn't get
>installed due to lack of priority, I can always get it
>bundled with my next cygwin update.  Cygwin is an absolute
>blessing.  Everything comes prebuilt (lots of stuff) and
>you have superuser priveleges, as well as simultaneous
>access to Windows.  Just as long as your HDD isn't FAT
>(that prevents chmod from working).
			.
			.
			.

Oh!  Apparently Win* is the platform of interest; that
hadn't occurred to me.

There's a LOT to say specifically on the topic of Python-
for-Windows-system-administration.  You might want to
start with Mark Hammond's book.

I'm no great fan of CYGWIN for my own use, although I
certainly recognize it's been historically important.
It occurs to me that perhaps we haven't made adequately
clear how easy it is to install native Python on Windows.
It should take less time doing it than talking about do-
ing it.  I'm not arguing with your approach; I just want
to ensure we've been clear about the alternatives.

Follow-ups narrowed.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at phaseit.net>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net