CamelCase versus wide_names (Prothon)

Gerrit gerrit at nl.linux.org
Tue Apr 20 06:57:47 EDT 2004

Mark Hahn wrote:
> "William Park" <opengeometry at yahoo.ca> wrote ...
>
> Someone else already mentioned this
> > > problem:
> > >
> > >    smtp_message <-> SMTPMessage <-> SmtpMessage
>
> If you consider the capital letter as just a replacement for the underbar,
> then the answer is definitely smtpMessage.  I don't see any problem.

SMTP is an acronym. Because it's an acronym, it's most often spelled in
allcaps. A problem with capitalizing names by default, is that
capitalization loses a function it has in written language. Further, I
like to use capitalization naming for giving different cased names to
instances, Classes, VeryLongClassNames or CONSTANTS. But I don't think
the language should fiddle with capitalization itself. Moreover, I like
a case-insensitive language.

I find smtpMessage quite ugly to read. I find every name with caps in
the middle but no caps at the start ugly to read - I think it's called
mixedCase. I prefer lower_case_with_underscores.

I haven't followed the Prothon capitalization naming convention in
detail. But in my opinion, a multi-word name should read as a multi word
name. Underscores serve better to do so than capitalization does.

Gerrit.

--
Weather in Twenthe, Netherlands 20/04 12:25:
	12.0°C Scattered clouds partly cloudy wind 4.0 m/s SSW (57 m above NAP)