Python OS

Michael Chermside mcherm at mcherm.com
Fri Apr 16 13:55:48 EDT 2004

A Evans writes:
> I am by no means a programmer at this stage.
> But as I learn more and more I see Python as the
> Holy Grail of programming languages

Then you have much to learn. Different languages have different
strengths, and a skilled programmer will realize that. Python
is an excellent language for expressing algorithms, doing rapid
prototyping, and a GREAT many other tasks. But it is poorly
suited to performing low-level register and bit manipulation.
If I wanted an inference engine, I might use prolog rather than
Python.

In the world of OSes, I think a core done in something like C
with the higher level kernel functionality in Python would make
an interesting system for experimenting with OS design. But
performance is likely to be unreasonable for a "production" OS.
Remember too, that much of what is nice about Python is that it
provides you with easy access to OS facilities (everything from
sockets (as a library) to memory management (in the language).
If you were developing an OS then that wouldn't be available
until you had built it.

-- Michael Chermside