Best IDE?

asdf sdf asdf at asdf.com
Tue Apr 13 14:11:05 EDT 2004

Timothy Wu wrote:

> rakanishu wrote:
>
>> I don't know if I'd call 'em IDEs but it's worth taking the time to
>> learn either emacs or vim. Both are very powerful editors that run on
>> multiple platforms. I tried emacs three times, but couldn't get into
>> it. I'm now getting hooked on vim. YMMV.
>

> I love Vim. I really do. And it works wonderfully on both Linux and
> Windows with Exuberant ctags (http://ctags.sourceforge.net/) on Python
> code. However the only thing that's bugging me is once I'm used to using
> Vi(that's practically the only editor I've ever use), I'm forever stuck
> with using Vi. I wish all other real IDEs comes with Vi mode, or I can
> somehow embed Vim in there (or someone else doing it for me as I'm not
> that technical). I would love to be using an IDE if it doesn't slow me
> down.
>
> Timothy

Check out Visual SlickEdit from Slickedit.com.

I would say this is an editor rather than an IDE.  But it is certainly
an IDE if vi is one.

It emulates several other editors, including vi.  It can generate tag
libraries, supporting autocomplete and function help for numerous
languages with syntax coloring.  It can run build scripts.  Available on
multiple platforms.  It is scriptable and extensible.

Too many features to mention.  If anyone can suggest a tool that is as
powerful, that is not specific to a single language, please mention it.

Python, Javascript, HTML, C, C++, Perl, Java, TCL, ksh, bsh, COBOL,
CFML, PL/SQL, PHP, Fortran, ADA ...

It must have support for 50 languages.