Advocacy opportunity

John Roth newsgroups at jhrothjr.com
Sun Apr 4 21:44:01 EDT 2004

"Cameron Laird" <claird at lairds.com> wrote in message
news:10719mdp83juif4 at corp.supernews.com...
> I've been advised that
> is open to correction in its Python column.  Who wants to tackle
> this?  Python certainly supports interaction, we have plenty to boast
> about in regard to foreign functions, we offer GUIs in abundance, ...
>
> They seem rather liberal.  If Python supports private methods and
> variables (and JavaScript does native threads!?!) (but somebody seems
> to have it in for C++), we might as well argue it gives root classes,
> too.

I wouldn't. To me, a root class is a common class that is **the**
root of the object hierarchy, in some useful sense such as
contributing numerous common methods. Granted, new style
classes are rooted in object, but object doesn't seem to
contribute much except for __getattribute__.

> I think if I had friends who were salesmen, they'd advise me, "You
> just mark, 'Yes', everywhere, and deal with it if someone argues."

Jason Voegele's paper also needs some corrections. (Pixeldate's
seems to go to a porn site.)

I see your point: there are a huge number of question marks in
the Python column. Some of them I don't know how to fill out,
and a few of them I don't know what he's talking about, frankly.

John Roth