emergent/swarm/evolutionary systems etc

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri Apr 2 11:45:20 EST 2004

Peter MacKenzie wrote:

> Peter Hansen + Mickel Grönroos, (unsure of a more suitable intro protocol
> for this environment + situation)
>
> Oh the joy!  It makes life worth living when things click into place and
> make sense.  My style of learning seems ill suited to the material available
> on the subject, so although I had indeed read all that I could find on
> making files, it was presented in a manner that I couldn't quite comprehend.
> To elaborate, I process linguistic information in a holistic, intuitive
> manner; a quality that requires for me to develop a 'feel' for the language
> in question, rather than a literal understanding of the rules.
>
> Because of this, I need full-yet-simple working examples to deconstruct and
> process.  Most of the examples I've come across have been fragmented and
> incomplete, which leaves me grasping at loose ends and the countless
> possibilities therein.  It's as though somebody had handed me at birth a
> dictionary and a set of grammatical rules, with the expectation that I would
> be able to piece it all together and learn to communicate.

Sounds like you should check out www.diveintopython.org, which as I
recall has quite full examples.  If you haven't read it already do so.

The only other thing I can suggest is spend less time defending your
way of learning things :-) and more time just *doing* it.  Write code,
and when it doesn't work at first, experiment.  Python should be
learned with the interactive interpreter prompt right in front of
you, typing and watching and learning...

Anyway, keep at it.  Python is certainly one of the easiest if not
the easiest modern language to learn (IMHO) so you should find yourself
making relatively good progress, whatever your difficulties.

-Peter