_socket module missing solaris 7 build python 2.3.3

Stephen Williams williams at csr.utexas.edu
Fri Apr 30 11:50:36 EDT 2004

after compiling python 2.3.3 on a solaris 7 system, one of our users
gets this error message now with a script he had previously written:

% python
>>> from ftplib import FTP
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.3/ftplib.py", line 45, in ?
    import socket
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.3/socket.py", line 44, in ?
    import _socket
ImportError: No module named _socket

this behavior is also apparent if you simply download the python 2.3.3
distribution from sunfreeware.com, so it makes me think there is a bug
somewhere in this distribution.  whatever the reason, the module _socket
just simply does not get made.  and no, it is not in any of the normal
paths that one would include for python libraries.

anyone out there know of a way around this?  compiler flags or
something?
--

                     '''
                    (O O)
 ,-------------- oOO-(_)-OOo -------------,
 |            Stephen Williams            |
 |      Manager of Computer Services      |
 |       Center for Space Research        |
 |     University of Texas at Austin      |
 |     3925 W. Braker Ln., Suite 200      |
 |          Austin, TX 78759-5321         |
 |    512.471.7235  512.471.3570 (fax)    |
 |       williams at csr.utexas.edu          |
                oooO   (   )
                 \_)