Goodbye TCL

Stephen Huntley blacksqr at usa.net
Fri Apr 16 11:31:03 EDT 2004

"John Roth" <newsgroups at jhrothjr.com> wrote in message news:<107u6ef5a2ise19 at news.supernews.com>...
> "Stephen Huntley" <blacksqr at usa.net> wrote in message
> news:f82c8ae7.0404151057.67333d4e at posting.google.com...
> > Ed:
> >
> > I think your post is valuable.  Instead of trying to invalidate your
> > arguments, I will outline my reasons why I stick to Tcl.  Then we can
> > perhaps glimpse how strengths and weaknesses counterbalance.
> >
> > The main reasons I stick with Tcl are:
>
> What's amusing is that every one of your arguements in favor
> of TCL are also arguements in favor of Python. This is, after
> all, 2004, not 1994. Languages don't get widespread use
> today unless either 1) some mega-mastodon is pushing them,
> like Java or C#, or 2) they just work out of the box, and
> solve real problems for the people using them.
>
> John Roth

I'm certain that Python is a lovely language with many uses.  You're
right saying that since 1994 many new technologies have just worked
out of the box.  The gotcha I have encountered is the problems you run
into a year or so down the line, when you want to move to a new
platform, or use an exotic character encoding, or scale up by an order
of magnitude.  This is where Tcl has shined for me.

I would be curious to know what is the biggest-capacity Python network
application in use?  How does it scale in comparison with AOLServer?
Any ideas?