Using python23 to develop an extension for an application that has python22 embedded

Michael Geary Mike at DeleteThis.Geary.com
Mon Apr 5 15:56:14 EDT 2004

John Underwood wrote:
> Can I use python23_d and python23 to develop an extension for a
> commercial application uses python22.dll? (Providing that I do not use
> any new features found only in 2.3.)
>
> I would bulld version 2.2 but I am having trouble doing this with
> Visual Studio .NET Standard. (There is a well documented problem with
> version 2.2 (involving largeint.h) and VS.NET but none of the
> solutions that I found have worked.)
>
> On the other hand, I have successfully built release and debug
> versions of pythoncore with VS.NET.

Why don't you just install the binary version of 2.2? That would be easier.
You can have 2.2 and 2.3 installed on the same machine with no problem.

http://www.python.org/2.2.3/

If 2.3 is the version you use most often, you may want to reinstall it after
installing 2.2, so that your Windows file associations point to it. You can
just reinstall 2.3 on top of your previous 2.3 installation. (Or maybe
there's an easier way to do this.)

-Mike