slightly OT: BUT NEEDs to be said

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Mon Apr 5 16:43:23 EDT 2004

Oh, I *so* have more important things to do :) , but okay, I'll play
along for a few seconds...

Nomen Nescio wrote:

>In article <lvOdnRJzZ9244ezdRVn-uQ at powergate.ca>, Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com>
>wrote:

>Cuddly cartoon characters like the Snake, or various BSD creatures = highly
>acceptable and good.

In terms of "acceptable and good" I think you'll find that Snakes and
Devils/Daemons aren't really high on many people's lists, but then you
know that and are just yanking the chain ;) .

>MPFC = too aristically/politically/socially 'loaded' to be acceptable.

Here's the thing, you object to the use of MPFC because you see the
particular show as a *silly* waste of money.  It's *not taking yourself
so seriously that you lose your sense of humour* that makes MPFC a fine
choice.

The commercial-tower Oak runs around telling the world that it's the
second coming of computer science, the caffeinated solution to all your
problems if you'll just sit down and drink the acorn tea.  It knows that
if it can just scream loud enough then people will overlook it's poor
character and weird obsessions and maybe pronounce it king.

Python hasn't developed that level of insecurity, it's perfectly willing
to admit its failings, it's happy to poke fun at itself and admit that
it needs C to be successful; sure, it's better and more privileged than
all of the other programming languages; sure, it's had the best
education and derived huge benefit from it; sure, it's received
patronage from the programming elite; sure, it has metaclasses, list
comprehensions and descriptors like any decent ivory-tower language; but
in the end, all that means nothing if it can't find the humanity in the
situation of explaining things to computers, if you can't make
programming just a little easier for the regular folks.

And if you are taking all *that* seriously, then really, go do a funny
walk somewhere and relax about it. We all pay taxes, and sometimes it
funds things we don't like, it's part of modern life.  Sometimes other
people like TV shows we think are insipid or offensive, this too is part
of life, and if you realise and accept that (within reason) you'll be
happier and more content.

Oh, and I like the snake more than the TV show too ;) .

Good luck with coming to terms with all this,
Mike

  Mike C. Fletcher
  Designer, VR Plumber, Coder
  http://members.rogers.com/mcfletch/