Difficulty Finding Python Developers

Robert M. Emmons RobMEmmons at cs.com
Sat Apr 17 07:11:10 EDT 2004

> Note that doesn't mean it's a bad idea to hire a Python expert in order
> to lead a team or make sure that everyone's learning Python properly.

Being an expert is a good thing.  No doubt about that.  As in many
things however, motivation is a good subsititute -- and possible with
python itself.

I think I would be more worried about the non-python language things --
they are harder to learn and take more time, and are where depth is
important.  Python itself is easy to learn.  Learning to write CGI
scripts, using Zope, doing database work, making a web site, using
wxWindows, etc.  These are more than just Python.  Because of that --
the person that's going to do the job is going to need to be an expert
in some of these areas...otherwise long learning curve.

Rob