Difficulty Finding Python Developers

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sat Apr 17 08:54:26 EDT 2004

"Robert M. Emmons" <RobMEmmons at cs.com> wrote:
> I think I would be more worried about the non-python language things --
> they are harder to learn and take more time, and are where depth is
> important.  Python itself is easy to learn.  Learning to write CGI
> scripts, using Zope, doing database work, making a web site, using
> wxWindows, etc.  These are more than just Python.  Because of that --
> the person that's going to do the job is going to need to be an expert
> in some of these areas...otherwise long learning curve.

That's an excellent point.  I think most programmers underestimate the
importance (and difficulty) of all the non-coding activities that go
into making a successful business.

Web development is a perfect example.  A good website is more about
content and usability (and often, databases) than it is about coding the
dynamic page generation engine.

Likewise, in any project involving more than about 2 people, software
process engineering starts to become as critical as programming.  Things
like poor configuration management, quality control, requirements
gathering and documentation are more likely to sink a big project than
bad coding.