Is Perl *that* good? (was: How's ruby compare to it older bro

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Tue Apr 27 12:44:26 EDT 2004

    Greg> I suspect that, 20 years from now, there will still be a language
    Greg> called Python, and it will still be quietly and unobtrusively
    Greg> kicking all its competitors' backsides.

    Greg> Whether it will bear any resemblance to the Python of today is
    Greg> another matter...

Perhaps look back ten years to see what's happened since then.  Does Python
more-or-less look the same as it did in 1994 (or even earlier)?  I suspect
the answer is "yes".  There has been some new syntax (*args/**kwds,
listcomps, complex numbers, raw strings, packages, assert statement, loss of
access statement) and a whole lot of new library functionality, but the core
language is pretty much the same.

Skip