[OT] Top posting is a PITA

Robin Munn rmunn at pobox.com
Thu Apr 1 12:03:59 EST 2004

Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:
> Jacek Generowicz <jacek.generowicz at cern.ch> wrote:
>> top-posters tend to write codswallop more often that those who trim
>> and organize their replies carefully.
>>
>> This is partly because the process of trimming the original post,
>> forces you to identfy the relevant points being made
>
> What makes you think people who top post don't also put a lot of effort
> into carefully organizing their replies and trimming the original post
> down to the most relevant points?

Bitter, hard-earned experience. Some people do so, as you demonstrated,
but IMB,H-EE the vast majority do not.

Another problem that occurs when some people top-post and some do not is
that the conversation thread quickly becomes unreadable unless someone
takes the time to rearrange it into a consistent form (as I did in
composing this reply).

--
Robin Munn
rmunn at pobox.com