What is good about Prothon?

has has.temp2 at virgin.net
Fri Apr 30 05:15:27 EDT 2004

Greg Ewing <greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz> wrote in message news:<c6sf29$fvhns$1 at ID-169208.news.uni-berlin.de>...

> > # Create objects 'b' and 'c'
> > b = a()
> > c = a()
>
> You've mistranslated your example.

Not at all. I was arguing these issues long before Prothon got its
copy() method.  I'm aware of its recent addition, but it doesn't
really change anything: the canonical Prothon way to create new
objects is still b = a(), not b = a.copy().

[FWIW, at least Prothon's not as confusing as Io, whose misleadingly
named "clone()" doesn't in fact clone at all, but does the
make-new-empty-object-that-delegates-to-the-existing-one thing that
Prothon's __call__ does.]

Anyway, this leads me to my next question: how many ways should one
need to create new objects? I now count three in Prothon, which is
certainly one too many. And what's it going to do about it?

The art of great software design isn't adding features, it's getting
rid of them.