AOP use cases

Hung Jung Lu hungjunglu at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 17 11:58:27 EDT 2004

Shane Hathaway <shane at zope.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.726.1082181389.20120.python-list at python.org>...

> This discussion makes me wonder if Zope has been dabbling in AOP
> concepts for years without knowing it.  In addition to ZODB, Zope lets
> you declare permissions for methods, wraps objects with proxies to give
> them an environment, and inspects method signatures to make them
> directly callable by URL.  The AOP folks talk about very similar things.
>   Surely there is some common thread.

You are right on there. :) Zope has plenty of places where it could
use AOP or is using AOP-like techniques. I remember the days when I
was using SiteAccess. SiteAcess is a perfect example of AOP. In that
sense, Apache's ModRewrite is another prefect example.

ZODB is transactional. But Zope < 3.0 is not enterprise-transactional
a la MTS or EJB/J2EE. I am not experienced in the details of
implementation of transactional architecture, but I would guess part
of the difficulty in converting an existing application into a
fully-transactional application is because you have to modify code all
over too many places. This is the type of problems that AOP addresses.

regards,

Hung Jung