AOP use cases

Will Stuyvesant hwlgw at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 22 12:02:04 EDT 2004

> [Peter Hansen ]
>    ... I appreciate the attempt to clarify, but so far it seems to
> me that *everyone* who talks about AOP just talks in abstract terms
> and isn't willing (or able?) to pin it down with *real* real-world
> examples ...

You got it.

AOP somehow did get scientific impact in computing
science.  I had to read scientific papers about AOP and
I had to listen to AOP conference presentations.  It's
all abstract chitchat about the benefits, and then they
usually introduce yet another formalism or even
mini-language to reason about.  Formulas in ad-hoc
formalisms.  Forget about *real* real-world examples,
these people just want to get papers published.
Usability is considered of minor impportance.  They are,
with very few very rare exceptions, NOT able to show
useful code in a high level language like Python.  What
they DO show is code in Java that solves Java problems,
usually to do with the limitations imposed by the static
typing system.  It is a bad sign that so much crappy AOP
papers get accepted.  I have come to the conclusion that
AOP is nothing more than what I expect from a decent
programmer: a good, or at least reasonable, design of
software in the first place.