Implement new editing format/through-the-web site management?

Diez B. Roggisch deetsNOSPAM at web.de
Tue Apr 27 14:31:19 EDT 2004

pugnatio2 at yahoo.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a Zope newbie but an experienced Python programmer. Could someone
> suggest a general approach for the two parts below?
>
> 1) I'd like to build a system that stores XML documents in the ZODB
> and allows them to be edited through the web in a new text format. The
> format is similar to StructuredText and can be translated to XML and
> vice versa, using Python methods.
>
> 2) The second part of system would be to maintain the site map as an
> XML document, also in the ZODB, and allow it to be edited using a
> tree-like HTML form or javascript interface, so that the structure of
> the entire site could be managed interactively from a single page.
> Elements in the site map XML would point to the IDs of XML objects
> stored in the ZODB. These pointers could be moved around by editing
> the site map. The Zope folder hierarchy would not drive the structure
> of the site, the XML document would.

afaik zope has a xml-export/import facility that might you help on this. The
zms publishing system abstracts from this and offers a even simpler format.
Thus the objects aren't stored as xml itself, but you can access it that
way in both directions.

Then your second point is more or less zope standard - you can use the zope
management interface to cut and paste objects to rearange them.
--
Regards,

Diez B. Roggisch