Best IDE?

Michael Geary Mike at DeleteThis.Geary.com
Mon Apr 12 13:03:43 EDT 2004

> What's the best MSwindows editor for python?  I'm currently
> using PythonWin (ActiveState) at the moment, its a bit buggy -
> but not too bad. I mean, its got autocomplete & tips & help &
> autoindentaion (not always good tho).
>
> Thing is, I'm sure there is something better. Is there?
>
> (is there a VS.NET addin?)

Someone mentioned ActiveState's Visual Python addin for VS.NET. ActiveState
also has Komodo which I like quite a lot. I tried both Visual Python and
Komodo and found that I liked them about equally well. I ended up buying
Komodo because I can use it on Linux as well as Windows, and it supports
other languages in addition to Python.

For a VS.NET user like me, the nice thing about Komodo is that it feels just
like VS.NET. I can switch back and forth between VS.NET and Komodo without
having to switch mental gears.

I tried many other editors, including most of the ones mentioned in this
thread, and despite their good points I couldn't get comfortable with them.
One thing in particular that I found in many editors was poor typeface
support. For example, JEdit is a very powerful editor, but it doesn't
support ClearType! It has its own font anti-aliasing which is fairly pitiful
by comparison. I find that ClearType makes such a huge difference in eye
comfort for me that I won't consider an editor that doesn't support it. (I
use a ThinkPad with a high-density 1600 x 1200 15" display, and the Lucida
Console typeface with ClearType looks great on this display.)

Of course, YMMV, so the best thing is to download and try out a number of
editors and IDEs and see what fits your needs and style the best.

-Mike