Pygame

David Boddie davidb at mcs.st-and.ac.uk
Thu Apr 15 07:04:13 EDT 2004

"John Roth" <newsgroups at jhrothjr.com> wrote in message news:<107rksn9nosm78a at news.supernews.com>...

> If you look at PyGame, you'll find that it's based on SDL, which seems
> to be a very good library for doing graphics. That, in turn, is based on
> OpenGL.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, as far as I'm aware, SDL isn't based on OpenGL
at all. If you're only creating 2D content, you don't need a working OpenGL
implementation on your target platform.

> It also (optionally) uses Numeric, which hasn't been included with Python
> because the developers don't want to wait for major Python updates.

That's a more important issue, I'll admit.

Personally, I'm not in favour of sweeping all the most popular third
party libraries into the standard library, although I can understand the
motivation of the original poster for wanting to include Pygame.

David