safari

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Thu Sep 11 13:27:38 EDT 2003

lefevrol at yahoo.com (Olivier Lefevre) writes:

> > It's got over 1,000 books -- I doubt they can ALL be best-sellers,
> > can they?
>
> What I mean is that it seems to have only language or API how-to kind
> of books, i.e., those that appeal to working programmers, the largest
> audience. A contrario look under Computer Science, AI or Functional
> Programming: it's pitiful. Yet the CS book market is also large,
[...]

Isn't that just because that's the kind of stuff O'Reilly publishes?
Addison-Wesley, Wiley &c. tend to do the books that are more on the
software engineering and CS side.

Or does Pearson Education have something to do with it -- I noticed
their site mentioning a 'Safari' a while back, and at the time assumed
that was a copy, but I think Alex mentioned them in this thread.  Are
Pearson and O'Reilly owned by a single company, or something?  I have
a vague recollection that Pearson owns some other companies...

John