safari

Olivier Lefevre lefevrol at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 11 11:34:34 EDT 2003

> It's got over 1,000 books -- I doubt they can ALL be best-sellers,
> can they?

What I mean is that it seems to have only language or API how-to kind
of books, i.e., those that appeal to working programmers, the largest
audience. A contrario look under Computer Science, AI or Functional
Programming: it's pitiful. Yet the CS book market is also large,
courtesy of undergrad programs. So they may have 1K titles but the
coverage is very narrow nonetheless.

> Sure: just like it takes a really long time for the latest movies
> to become available at my local video rental shop

I don't think that's relevant. The videos could hurt the theater
release, so the delay is deliberate; in the case of Safari it's
more likely to be mere logistics since printed and online versions
coexists throughout the lifetime of the book.

-- O.L.