safari

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Fri Sep 5 10:23:39 EDT 2003

Olivier Lefevre wrote:

> Alex Martelli <aleax at aleax.it> wrote in message
> news:<elC5b.11632$hE5.410636 at news1.tin.it>...
>> Even ignoring safari's many other advantages
>
> Safari is definitely a useful service (I am a subscriber) but
> 1. its range of titles is quite limited (only best-sellers)

It's got over 1,000 books -- I doubt they can ALL be best-sellers,
can they?  Taking for example their 15 Python books, it seems to
me that they are all the Python books published by O'Reilly and
most of thise published by the Pearson-owned publishers.

> 2. the time lag between release as hardcopy vs. on Safari can be really
> long

Sure: just like it takes a really long time for the latest movies
to become available at my local video rental shop (a much longer
time than it takes for at least O'Reilly books to get into safari,
which for the Nutshell was for example about 3 months).

Sure, if safari had even more books for you to choose from --
many thousands rather than a mere thousand -- it would no doubt
be even more useful.  I could say much the same about my local
library.  It's still a very useful resource, even with just
the number of books it currently has.

Alex