OT: Americans love their guns

Steve Lamb grey at despair.dmiyu.org
Sat Sep 6 03:43:06 EDT 2003

On 2003-08-28, Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters <mertz at gnosis.cx> wrote:
> As for homicide, well, you're far more likely to be either a victim or a
> killer.  If you are armed, it is quite possible that an angry loved one
> would have access to that gun.... and no doubt regret shooting you after
> his/her anger cooled.  And should you be mugged on the street by a
> stranger, your chance of walking away dead (rather than just with less
> money), are MANY times higher if you pull a gun on your assailant.

    If guns were such a overriding factor why is it the UK has as high
if not higher rate of gun related violence than the US?  For that matter
why is it in several other European nations (Netherlands and Switzerland
IIRC) where there is a legal requirement for all males over a certain
age to be armed (standing militia) that there is so little gun related
violence?

    When are people going to learn, it ain't the guns, its the education
and attitude surrounding them.  It isn't guns that are the problem, it's
ignorance of guns thats the problem.