[Python-Dev] Making python C-API thread safe (try 2)

Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou tzot at sil-tec.gr
Wed Sep 17 03:24:40 EDT 2003

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 06:29:36 +0300, rumours say that Harri Pesonen
<fuerte at sci.fi> might have written:

[snip discussion so far because I want to focus on this sentence]
>Multiple threads are more efficient, they use less system resources, and
>they allow fast shared memory access (in a way or another).

"efficient": I asked you in another part of this thread: please define
efficient.

"resources": A program that forks itself on current operating systems
does not consume *much* more memory than a multithreaded one; code is
shared, many data pages won't be written so they will remain common.
Whatever I may say, have you got numbers from your personal experience?

"fast memory access": yes, accessing directly the data memory of the
same process is faster than going through the shmem calls first, but how
much do you believe this overhead is?  Or do you believe that accessing
mapped shared memory is slower than accessing the data memory of the
process?

The whole point is that you seem to be based on the words of others
about "thread efficiency", without having experience of your own against
other possible solutions.  Do you have example applications you want to
build?  Did you post a description of the problems you encountered so
that the people in c.l.py can help you?
--
TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best,