[Python-Dev] Making python C-API thread safe (try 2)

Brian Quinlan brian at sweetapp.com
Tue Sep 16 14:24:31 EDT 2003

> There is no object-level locking in my proposal. Just independent
> free-threaded interpreters, which don't see the objects of other
> interpreters at all.

OK, but this is useless to the average Python programmer. It is only
useful to people embedding Python interpreters in multithreaded
applications. I would imagine that this represents <1% of Python users.

> There could be an extra global interpreter state for shared-memory
> object access. Accessing this would always be synchronized, but only
> this. Python would automatically copy data from this state to
> thread-local state and back when needed. This would require a special
> syntax for variables in global state:

So now you want to change the language definition for the benefit of a
small minority of users?

Cheers,
Brian