build a static python executable on linux?

Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou tzot at sil-tec.gr
Mon Sep 29 19:03:30 EDT 2003

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 15:42:34 -0700, rumours say that Alexandre Gillet
<gillet at scripps.edu> might have written:

>I am trying to build a python interpreter that is static link.
>My python interpreter was build on RedHat 8.0 using gcc 2.3 and GLIBC 2.3
>When running on other linux flavor that still have GLIBC 2.2, the
>interpreter won't start. (error message:  /lib/libc.so.6: version
>`GLIBC_2.3' not found (required by /mgl/python/i86Linux2/bin/python2.3)

I believe you should install the glibc-static-devel package and then
find the approprate options for gcc (my noisy linux computer is turned
off now so I can't man gcc, but IIRC is -static :) in order to build a
static python.
--
TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best,